How does it all work?

When you take on an apprenticeship or traineeship, you’ll work either full-time or part-time, while receiving formal training from a RegisteredTraining Organisation (RTO). As well as formal training, you'll also benefit from on-the-job training and experience you gain in your workplace (all while getting paid!)

When it comes to finding an apprenticeship or traineeship, the first step is to figure out what industry you want to work in. To help you get on the right path, check out Australia's apprenticeship and traineeship directory, or head to our Career Hub to take our free career quiz.

Next, you'll need to find a job opportunity in the field that you want and land that job!

  • Title
    Finding an apprenticeship or traineeship

    There are a couple of ways to go about starting an apprenticeship or traineeship.

    Get hired directly by an employer/organisation...

    This means browsing and applying for jobs online, approaching employers you’re interested in working for and even asking family, friends, your school Career Advisor or your local MEGT Consultant if they know anyone who could take you on.

    To get started, head to our dedicated apprenticeship and traineeship job board to browse and apply for jobs based on your chosen field and location.

    If you still need a hand finding the right career path or getting your resume and cover letter up to date, head over to our free Career Hub.

    Once you’re registered, you’ll get access to expert career advice and downloadable resources to make sure you're job ready and a step above the competition!

    ...or by a Group Training Organisation

    As a registered Group Training Organisation (GTO), MEGT can employ you directly and place you with a Host Employer to complete your apprenticeship or traineeship.

    We’ll remain your legal employer throughout your apprenticeship or traineeship. This means we'll pay your wages, monitor your training, and make sure you have the mentoring and support you need along the way.

    In the meantime, your Host Employer will provide you with day-to-day work, supervision and on-the-job training as you work towards a nationally accredited qualification.

    The best bit? Security! If your placement with your Host Employer ends, we’ll place you with another Host Employer, so your training and work can continue.

    To check out our apprentice and trainee vacancies, head to our job board. For more info about Group Training, give us a call on13 6963and chat with our Customer Service team.

  • Title
    Where does MEGT come in?

    Whether you get hired directly by an employer/organisation or we take you on through our Group Training service, you need to be signed into a Commonwealth Government Training Contract to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship. It sounds complicated, but that's where we come in!

    Once you've landed a job, we’ll meet with you and your employer to sign your Training Contract – this just makes your apprenticeship or traineeship official. At this point, we can also help you choose the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that will deliver your training.

    We’ll then register your Training Contract with the relevant State Training Authority (STA). The STA will send you a confirmation letter once you're registered as an Australian Apprentice.

    You'll also get an email from MEGT to let you know you're official and to provide your apprentice or trainee registration number (hang onto this - it can be used to access all sorts of financial support and personal benefits!)

    Once you’ve received confirmation from the STA, you and your employer can get you enrolled with your chosen RTO and develop a formal Training Plan so you can start training!

  • Title
    How training/trade school works

    When you land an apprenticeship or traineeship, you'll work either full-time or part-time, while receiving formal training from a RegisteredTraining Organisation (RTO).

    If you're an apprentice, this usually means attending TAFE, a private training organisation or trade school either one day a week or in week-long blocks. This is something you and your employer willdiscuss and agree upon with your chosen RTO.

    Once you’ve agreed with your employer and your RTO about how often you'll go to trade school (e.g. one day per week or week blocks of training), your employer must then give you this time to attend training.

    The time you spend offsite attending formal training is paid time and is included in your ordinary hours of work (e.g. 38 hours per week). If you don't attendtrade school when you're supposed to, you don’t get paid for that time (unless you're on sick leave or another type of leave).

    Trainees generally complete their coursework on-the-job and have regular visits from their trainers/assessors while they’re at work.

  • Title
    Who pays for training fees and materials?

    Although it can depend onyou're paid under, in general when you're undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeshipyour employer needs to reimburse:

    • All the fees charged by the RTO that are related to your training
    • The cost of any prescribed textbooks for your apprenticeship/traineeship

    Your employer doesn't have to reimburse you for fees and textbooks if:

    • Your progress in the course is unsatisfactory
    • They pay the costs and fees directly to the RTO, or
    • You are notworking for your employer at the time that the costs have to be reimbursed (this will be outlined in your award)

    Your employer also doesn't haveto reimburse any part of the fees that the Government reimburses you directly.

    Find out more about reimbursement of training fees and textbooks for apprentices

    Find out more about reimbursement of training fees and textbooks for trainees

  • Title
    Recognition of previous skills or experience

    As an apprentice or trainee, you'll have the opportunity to have your previous skills, knowledge and experiences recognised formally, without having to undergo unnecessary training if you're already competent. This is known as a Recognition of Prior Learning(RPL) assessment, and your RTO will take care of this once you're enrolled.

    RTOs also conduct Recognition of Current Competency (RCC) assessments for apprentices and trainees who have already completed some formal training in the relevant field to determine whether they can be awarded‘credit’ and not have to repeat the training.

  • Title
    Making sure you have proper supervision

    When you're employed as an apprentice or trainee, your employer must make sure:

    • You have a suitably qualified person supervising you at all times.
    • On-the-job training enables you to become a competent worker.
    • You're allowed to attend off-the-job training if it applies.
    • You're released from routine duties to complete on-the-job training when required.

    To find out more about your legal rights and obligations - as well as your employer's rights and obligations - click here.

  • Title
    Changing employers during your apprenticeship or traineeship

    If you wish to change employers during your apprenticeship or traineeship, there are a couple of steps you'll need to take to make sure you can continue with your qualification.

    First, you'll need to complete a cancellation form to cancel the Training Contract you signed with your current/original employer (we can help with that!) Generally, you and your employer must agree to the cancellation. If you're under 18, your parent or guardian must also agree.

    Once that Training Contract has been cancelled, you'll need to sign another Training Contract with your new employer (we'll help with that too). You'll also need to complete another probation period and develop a Training Plan with your new employer.

    When changing employers, you may also need to change to a new Registered Training Organisation (RTO). It's important your training record is up to date as your new RTO may be able to grant you credit (time) or recognition of the work and training you've already done and any competencies you've already achieved.

    You can also request an extract of service which is an official document issued by the relevant State Training Authority, confirming your apprenticeship or traineeship occupation and the time you've served under your Training Contract/s. A charge may apply to receive an extract of service.

  • Title
    Completing your apprenticeship or traineeship

    Australian Apprenticeships are competency-based, which means completion can occur at any stage as long as all parties - you, your employer and your RTO - agree that the required skills (competencies) have been achieved.

    Once you've completed your apprenticeship or traineeship, you'll be issued with a completion certificate. If you have misplaced your completion certificate (also known as trade certificate or indenture papers), you can apply for a replacement copy. Usually a charge for replacements will apply.